Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Is it safe to use Dettol in Washing machine with hot water

Customer Question

Is it safe to use Dettol in Washing machine with hot water wash and high heat drying? I used this product for the past few years and every time I added 2-3 capful of liquid together with detergent. The clothes usually come out with a Dettol smell which I used to feel clean and nice. But recently, I found some of my old clothes stink terribly! And people mentioned Dettol may not be good for laundry.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 4 months ago.

Dear customer,

Do you mean is it medically safe?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I wonder if it is medically safe to use for laundry. Thanks.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes it is absolutely safe for use in the laundry, and in fact according to their product information they mention that this can be used in household (for nurseries, laundry, bathrooms, floors). Also they have a separate product just for laundry, which may or may not be available in your location:

http://www.dettol.co.uk/products/laundry-sanitiser/dettol-antibacterial-laundry-cleanser/

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating by clicking 5 stars above.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Doctor. I'm just afraid that I used a few fold more while doing the laundry then recommended. People usually do 1-2 caps but I used 4-5caps. I used to think this is good to kill bacteria, but recently I realized I might use too much that could cause myself health trouble.....

Dear customer,

Medically there will be no adverse effects by using more than the recommended quantity.

Please don't forget to rate the answer by clicking 5 stars. Experts get paid only when you rate our answer and this will compensate for the time we spend in giving you the answers to your questions.

Take care.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Doctor. I used the http://www.dettol.co.uk/products/first-aid/dettol-liquid/ this product instead of the laundry cleanser, which actually made me even more terrified.

Dear customer,

I would appreciate if you rate my answer with a positive rating before we continue our discussion. Even after rating you may continue to ask questions.

Thanks.