Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

Diagnosed with hives today, almost three days of hives and

Customer Question

Diagnosed with hives today, almost three days of hives and it is getting worse. Right now i am literally going nuts it itches so much. Taking Benadryl 25 mg in day and 50 mg two hours ago. Using 1% hydrocortisone cream, ice, baking soda and water and the itching is just unbearable.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

You can try increasing the dose of Benadryl to 50 mg three times a day to see if that controls itching. If not you can in addition take Tablet Zyrtec 10 mg twice a day for further antihistamine action (which is what gives itch relief in hives). Topically try mixing Sarna lotion with any bland moisturizer like Cetaphil or Aveeno and using 3-4 times a day. Sarna lotion can be used every few hours if desired. Cold showers and oatmeal baths can also have a soothing effect. Hydrocortisone cream is of not much use in hives and can be stopped. All of these are available over the counter without a prescription.

If you don't feel better within 48-72 hours you can see your doctor for a short course of oral steroids which usually knocks the itching right off. If you feel the itching is more than you can bear right now you can consider going to the ER - they can give you an injection of Avil and Hydrocortisone and the itching becomes much better within half an hour after which the Benadryl can kick in and control the symptoms.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries.