dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I had been first diagnosed with shingles mid January. Took

Customer Question

I had been first diagnosed with shingles mid January. Took Zovirax. They were concentrated in my neck and left arm. had lots of pain, burning. After mid march it spread to my right arm, took another round of Zovirax, and was given cortisone cream 2.5 but recently went to a dermatologist who is taking a biopsy and put me on chlorabetsal cream, low dose of doxycycline. They improved a little bit, but still very red and stings when I get hot, especially on my neck where it started. My question is "I have seed like kernels when they peel off." This confuses me. Is part of the post herpetic neuralgia? Why do I have a seed come out as scabs peel off?
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: Since January but mainly it has spread since March. The symptoms are worse in heat and when I have a tired feeling. They sting when I sweat. What confuses me is the seed in the core of the scab once I help peel it off.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have Crohn"s deisease but it's remission with the drug Immuron. I have my blood tested every 3 months. It is mild and has not become any worse. I use to have ulcers in my throat and they went away with the drug in 2011. They got close to my vocal chords and thankful that part is better. I have low thyroid but on medicine for it.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is no puss coming out. No blood. Just red scaps, peels off, with a seed like white kernel, small as a mustard seed, coming out.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will get results of a biopsy but Im not sure if it will give the answers to what causes my condition. I question my diagnosis. The doxycycline seems to be helping, but it seems to not get rid of it, as it could have been infected but the infection might not have been the cause.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. David

what did the skin biopsy show?

the zovirax didn't help?

are you questioning your shingles diagnosis?

can you upload a clear jpg photo of your skin rash and these "seeds' which are coming out of your skin?