Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

I have been bitten by something twice on my lower legs that

Customer Question

I have been bitten by something twice on my lower legs that I thought were fleas, but they are not looking like flea bites any longer (sadly, any flea the cat brings in seems to love me). One was slightly scratched before I realised I had been bitten, and the other I have tried to not scratch (both very itchy). My son had a similar looking bite a couple of months ago in a similar place, and it took ages to heal completely, and I am thinking they look similar and I am now trying to think about what might be in our house in the country that is biting us like this.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: Topical hydrocortisone 1% helps a little bit.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

This is Dr. David

if you have fleas on the cat, you can have ticks and mites as well in the home.

can you upload a photo of the bite?

just looking at the bite it can be difficult to impossible to know what caused the bite

spider bites can be very painful

mosquito bites can be itchy

green head fly bites can be painful

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It isn't painful - just itchy. The itching is what caused me to notice it. It definitely is not like the flea bites, can you see the small blisters by the area on the one photo? I've certainly not had a mosquito bite like this (actually never had a mosquito bite at all while living in england - but got them a lot in the US). This bite happened during the daylight, by the way, so not typical mosquito time either.

the blistering around the area is a sign of reaction and infection.

you need to see a doctor and get a wound culture of those bite areas to check for skin superinfections on top of the bites which can happen.

you may need a course of antibiotics and/or antibiotic creams to help the area heal

you need your pets and your home checked for fleas and bugs, you may need an exterminator.

your cat may need a flea bath.

you should check your bed for bed bugs as well. strip the bed and look at the seams of the bed for bed bugs.

do you have a doctor you can see?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The cat is on imidocloprid - I probably gave him his dose a couple of days late, but he's not infested. Even though bugs love me and I often get more histamine reaction to bugs than most people, this is unlike any flea bite I have ever had. I got the bites while on my sofa, which I have sprayed well now w permethrin, pyripoxyfen and piperonyl butoxide. so I am treating as though there are fleas, just in case. I don't have bedbugs - I have not got a single other mark on my body except for these bites I got on the sofa. Yes, I can see a doctor, we have the NHS here, so we all can see doctors if need be. I'm thinking I might want someone local to have a look at it to see if fits any pattern for local insects.

it may not be a bite

it could be a skin infection like a skin staph or strep bacterial infection

a skin culture can check for those infections

antibiotic creams and pills could help clear it up.

your GP doctor would be the best place to start.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using