dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I'm 17 and my hair is of the African American decent...My

Customer Question

I'm 17 and my hair is of the African American decent...My hair obviously grows on a slow pace but one thing I've been dealing with for the last year or so is an imbalance of hair. After about 2.5 inches from the front my hair is the same length but the first 2.5 it's significantly shorter and I can't make my hair look good with that and have limited options. How can I save my hair and get it to grow back to its normal pace? Thank you
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 months ago.

This is Dr. David

you may need to get your hair cut more frequently to keep your hair the same length

can you upload a photo of your hair so I can better help you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Best believe I've tried that and the same situation occurred the back will beat out the front. It's almost like the front hair is dead! I sent photographs of the lengths and the top! Not 100% satisfied with yet.

you should buy a hair buzzer yourself and cut your hair shorter more frequently.

some people can have their hair grow at different rates.

this can be difficult to control

you can also try scalp massage in the front of your scalp to improve blood flow to that area to help with hair growth.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is a case I've never seen before! I've cut it to the same length frequent times and it's the same song! I understand the scalp massage, but is there any more option? Is that your best option?

you are young

as you get older, your hair can grow more evenly.

you are very worried about your hair and appearance at your age

but as you get older, you get more secure in your appearance and your hair growth will matter less to you.

as you get older, you will be happy to have hair at all on your head.