Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I have a C shaped "rash" on the heel of my right palm. I

Customer Question

I have a C shaped "rash" on the heel of my right palm. I have had it twice last year and a doctor said probably cellulitis. Antibiotic cleared it up both times. This time the doctor said it doesn't seem consistent with cellulitis, as the inner margin clears as it grows. It is purplish red in colour, hot to the touch and painful.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: It comes on suddenly. No common factors that I can think of.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have been investigated at length for possible Auto immune disease, with no diagnoses
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you attach a picture of the rash?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It won't let me attach anything
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Did they come through?

Yes, these came through. Let me review the pictures and type an answer.

This appears to be more inflammatory than infectious.

Did your doctor prescribe anything when he/she said that it does not look like celllulitis?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Keflex would be a drug used for cellulitis, so your doctor must have wanted to cover for cellulitis even though it was not thought to look like cellulitis. If the Keflex has not helped, then that would be further evidence of it not being cellulitis.

The next step would be a topical steroid. The best that would be available over the counter is a hydrocortisone cream. There are stronger medicines available by prescription, but it would be reasonable to first try the hydrocortisone cream.

The other issue would be trying to identify the cause of the inflammation. Inflammation of the skin of the hand will frequently be due to contact with a substance to which the person reacts. This can be certain types of metals, particularly that contain nickel. It is also common to be sensitive to certain cleaning fluids. Trying to identify the cause may require keeping a diary of substances to which you came in contact before each flare-up.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.