Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine

Had a small mole removed from neck yesterday at yearly skin

Customer Question

Had a small mole removed from neck yesterday at yearly skin checkup that appeared to have some brown or grayish color inside.Doctor said it was screaming melanoma at him and as usual sent sample to lab. Q uestion I forgot to ask--Can a mole have those kind of colors or change a bit without being cancer?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

Yes there is still a chance that it could be just a harmless mole.

The only way to be dead sure is to see the tissue of the mole under the microscope and only then can be say for sure that this is a cancer or harmless mole.

We can, at times, clinically suspect a mole as being a melanoma but the definitive diagnosis, would, always rest on the histopathology report.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards