Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

About two weeks ago my neck started itching apparent reason.

Customer Question

About two weeks ago my neck started itching for no apparent reason. The next day, my chest, nose, and ears broke out in tiny pinkish/red symmetrical bumps. These areas were warm and itchy. About a week later, the breakout diminished but presented mostly on my arms and a little on my torso. Two doctors visits later and no one can give me an answer but take benedryl (which I have).
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 3 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

What is your age & gender?

Can you attach a picture to shown these bumps?

Do you get relief after taking benadryl?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am a 56 year old female. Attached a pic but it's not that great. Let me know if you need me to take another. The Benadryl seems to only make me sleepy. Using topical Benadryl as well but not feeling much relief. Itching is so bad that I'm breaking skin :-(
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 3 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply & sharing the picture.I have seen it.

The symptoms you have described of having tiny pinkish/red symmetrical bumps initially on neck,chest,nose,ears & now mostly on arms & torso since last 2 weeks are suggestive of skin disease known as urticaria.

A hypersensitivity reaction (similar to an allergy) occurs in the skin, causing inflammation. The inflammation causes the skin to become reddish & itchy.

Another possibility can be of a condition called petachiae.It appears when capillaries bleed, leaking blood into the skin. They are red because they contain red blood that has leaked from the capillaries into the skin.

You need following tests:

-Elimination-type tests

-Radioallergosorbent test (RAST)

-Antinuclear antibody(ANA) tests

You need skin allergy tests.Common one are:elimination-type tests.In this the suspected foods are avoided for several weeks and then gradually re-introduced one at a time and you will be observed for signs of an allergic reaction.

Radioallergosorbent test (RAST) is a blood test done to see whether there is true allergic reaction.

So my best advise for you is to make an appointment with your doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Till then take tab.Zyrtec.It contains Cetirizine & is a second-generation antihistamine.It is now available over-the-counter (OTC).This will not make you sleepy & will help greatly to provide relief from itching.

Apply cream containing hydrocortisone.If the area is large then apply Calamine lotion.

Hope this helped.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today we only get after positive feedback.Bonus is highly appreciated.

Is there anything else that you would like to know.I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

no, a lesser dose of fish oil over a shorter period of time would not cause more acetylcholine in the brain.

in most cases, we can't explain why one patient will get worse depression and anxiety and another will not. this is often not caused by diet or fish oil intake.

you can take the CDP choline. it may or may not affect your anxiety and depression symptoms.

if you are not on any medications your anxiety and depression will be bad and you will get episodes of anxiety and depression sporatically at this point no matter what you take.

the esctalopram did help before.

you need to see a psychiatrist for more longer term follow up and treatment.