dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology

I have what appears to be flaky skin on my glans. I do not

Customer Question

I have what appears to be white flaky skin on my glans. I do not have unprotected intercourse, however, I did a complete test for STD's just to be safe and all results showed that I had nothing. My glans does not burn, itch and it is not painful but is sensitive to touch. I am a circumcised male. I have tried Canesten 1% clotrimazole for 10 days for possible yeast infection and it did not work. I have tried using pure vitamin E oil for weeks to moisturize and it did not work. I am not sure if this is dry skin or not and should use Vaseline? Any thoughts on what this might be or treatments?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 3 months ago.

Whats your age ? Do you have any medical issues ?

Since when you have this problem?

Any other body part with similar complaint ?

Any recent change of undergarments or soaps etc ?

Can you post a picture here ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm 28 years old, no medical issues. I have had this problem for about 2 months now. There is no other body part with this complaint. I changed from wearing briefs to boxers to allow more airflow and sleep naked at night. As for soaps, I use aveeno soap natural moisturizing bar which I have used for years. Yes, I have a picture and can post it.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello????? are you still there

Sorry for the delay.

From the picture it could be anything between simple bacterial infection to eczema to dermatitis or allergy.

Since anti-fungal cream didn't help it is less likely to be yeast infection.Sometimes it is just a reaction to what we eat or drink( this can happen at any age). Since you have checked for STDs , there is no need to worry on that front.NO pain/ itching is also against STD or fungal infection.

I would suggest you to use water based moisturizer for some days and avoid any chemical/ soaps over the region. Sometimes it is a skin issue which can appear and disappear of its own without any reason.

Eat healthy and stay away from alcohol and beverages for sometime.Just maintain a food diary to see the days when this flares up. You may correlate specific food/ drinks to flare ups. Avoid smoking( primary as well as secondhand).

Last resort would be low dose OTC steroid ointments for short duration. This usually helps but better be prescribed by a doctor in writing.

If it persists you should get an appointment with your dermatologist.

If you have any questions , please let me know.