Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I have spongiotic dermatitis on my chest, arms & back.

Customer Question

I have spongiotic dermatitis on my chest, arms & back. For 10 months, I have seen 10 doctors & just did a round of prednisone and although it knocked it back, as soon as I finished it is coming back!!
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: Excellent, 2time ovarian cancer survivor, cancer free for 4 years & take my health very seriously. Heathy natural diet & lifestyle.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I haven't had any meds in 3 years, but just did a round of Keflex & prednisone
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

Hi there? How long have you had this? Do your doctors know what triggered it?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

A large part of the management of spongiotic dermatitis involves the avoidance of triggers. Avoidance of known skin irritants, for example, be they soaps, chemicals in washing powders, elements in clothing, or components of foods is all part of the treatment if one subscribes to the view that prevention is better than cure. That said, because it is an inflammatory dermatosis, it will often respond to steroid anti-inflammatories, whether by ointment or oral tablet. If prednisone worked well for you, you might consider trying a "burst" of high dose prednisone followed by a slow taper down to a tiny every other day dose (e.g. 1-2mg) to keep it from coming back. Side effects from an "every other day" dosing regimen like this are typically minimal to none.