dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology

On the third day of having unprotected sex with an

Customer Question

On the third day of having unprotected sex with an occasional partner, I had a red rash form on the side of the tip and region near the head on the shaft.The following day I discovered two very small red dots, what would appear like a typical mosquito bite for me, no swelling, itching, anything. The dot also seemed dense within the skin, if not underneath. They were seperated by nearly an inch of distance. That day, I went in to have an HSV IgM antibody test since my IgG test came back negative three months ago for both I/II.Third day of symptoms, five days after exposure, I tried picking at one of them, no blood oozing, unusual pain, etc. The redness spread. Contacted partner and informed her of the situation.Fourth day of symptoms, sixth day after exposure, went in to clinic and both the practitioner and I had no idea what it could be. Since I did have rawness a week prior to exposure from athletics on my inner thigh, I used OTC powder for jock itch. Practitioner recommended full STD panel, including a swap of the scab that was picked at.Fifth day of symptoms, seventh day after exposure, two additional red dots formed, under the skin still. The previous dots that were discovered seemed to come to the surface in a scab, almost as if hard to begin with. Results from HSV IgM came back as negative.Sixth day of symptoms, eighth day after exposure, received a call from partner that she was test positive for HSV-1. Immediately I went back to clinic and am now on valacyclovir for ten days and requested a suppression regiment of acyclovir 400mg/daily for three months as precaution.Seventh day of symptoms, nine days after exposure, redness has almost gone and the first red dots are almost gone, with the exception of the one that was picked. The other red dots are still present, not at surface. No results from STD blood/swab have been completed yet.None of these symptoms are consistent with HSV, and I have yet to find any information on my symptoms.What is this?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David

can you upload a clear jpg photo of this red rash on your penis so I can better help you?

do you see the "add file" link where you can upload a clear jpg image?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This was taken on the second day of symptoms.

that is not from an STD.

that looks like dermatitis, very minimal from irritation from sex or from a heat rash.

it is not from an STD.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Regardless of the redness spreading and the increase of dots appearing, both days after any activity that would cause contact dermatitis?

yes, that can cause dermatitis.

dermatitis can cause itchiness.

excessive moisture and sweating can cause itching

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No itching, scratching, pain, or discomfort, etc.

that is good

it doesn't look like an STD or herpes