Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My eyebrows are itchy and have been falling out to the point

Customer Question

My eyebrows are itchy and have been falling out to the point that it is quite noticeable, particularly on one side.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: It's been going on for about one month. If I use facial cream it helps a bit.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Thyroid tests are normal. The dermatologist thinks I may have rosacia but says the loss of eyebrows is unrelated.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now itchy eyebrows as well as hair loss from this region can be due to a number of conditions.The first one which comes to mind is that you could have localized eczema which is an autoimmune condition. It can cause hair loss as well as dry and itching skin. if this is the case then topical steroid use should be helpful and if that doesnt work then oral steroids can be considered as well.

A fungal infection of the region can also cause symptoms like these, there are numerous fungi which can cause hair loss as well as itching and a simple evaluation and treatment with antifungal creams and ointments should solve the problem. In some cases oral anti fungal agents like ketoconazole may be needed.

Another cause of this can be associated with other autoimmune diseases. Several autoimmune diseases can cause hair loss ranging from lupus to even mixed connective tissue disorder. The first step in diagnosing this would be with the help of simple tests like ESR, ANA and if needed a complete ENA profile would be done as well.

lastly alopecia areata can also cause eyebrow loss and it can lead to hair loss on the scalp as well. This would need to be evaluated and treated with steroids which may be topical. In most cases this is temporary hair loss and with treatment teh hair grows back.

Now depending on your age and gender, other causes can be considered as well such as hormonal disorders etc but i feel it is likely to be one of the above causes in your case and you should discuss these options with your doctor.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.