Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I have a lump that developed on the side of my head. at

Customer Question

I have a lump that developed on the side of my head. at first i thought it may be ingrown hair or bad bug bite. there seems to be no evident sign of a bite of a head forming with infection. it has been there for about 3 days. It is now seems to be hard and is painful. It is the size if about a 50 cent piece
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 3 months ago.

Hi, Dr. Stan here to help. Please sends pictures.

Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 3 months ago.

I'm Dr Chaithanya attending you

What treatment have you tried?

Any injury?

A pic will help

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 3 months ago.

This is the first expert waiting for pictures.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 months ago.

The other expert has opted out after waiting for a picture. Without a picture, any comments will be limited. A painful lump of short duration that has developed without recent trauma is worrisome for an infection, such as an infection of a hair follicle of sweat gland, even if there is no head forming. If a painful lump persists for several days, it would be appropriate to be seen. Until you can be seen, it would be fine to apply ice packs and use over the counter medicines for pain.