Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have a breakout of large (larger than pimples) red sores

Customer Question

I have a breakout of large (larger than pimples) red sores on my butt. I thought it might be sweat or heat rash, but the "pimples" seem larger. Hurts to touch and sit down. I did spend several days this past weekend working outside and sweating to the point of soaking shorts. Advice?
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: noticed pain yesterday while sitting at work. saw sores this morning. have not tried anything yet.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: not related to this.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome.

Please attach a photo here.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No thank you.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Picture added. They look worse after show this morning.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 months ago.

Thank you.

In the picture the lesions looked maculopapular - which means that they are scabbed bumps with inflammation around them. This is often seen in folliculitis. The diagnosis is consistent with your history of working in a hot and sweaty environment.

The pain is due to the inflammation or perifolliculitis. I would suggest that you start putting an antibiotic ointment over the lesions, bacitracin twice a day and keep the area clean and dry (free of sweat). Avoid sitting on them for long periods of time.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 months ago.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 months ago.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health