Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I have dry skin under my penis that is also peeling and red

Customer Question

I have dry skin under my penis that is also peeling and red dots on my penis head please help
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

How long has it been like this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
A year or so the skin has been dry but I have been frequently dry masturbating for a while as well
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 months ago.

Okay. Would a photograph of the affected area be possible at your convenience?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am sending the pictures dr
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the photographs. These red spots have been there for one year? Or do they come and go?

Do these spots become dry/flaky?

Do you have trouble with scalp dandruff or red/scaly patches anywhere else on the body particularly the elbows, knuckles, or knees?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The red spots have been there but got more red and visible recently and no sir just the skin under my penis is dry and flaky. No I don't
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 months ago.

Okay - any history of fluid filled blisters on the penis? Or severe burning while passing urine?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No sir i have never had blisters nor has it ever hurt while urinating
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the information. Your history and clinical picture could be suggestive of either Seborrheic Dermatitis or Penile Psoriasis - both can cause red papules on the penis like you have. Seborrheic Dermatitis is a type of dry eczema and Psoriasis is an autoimmune condition of the skin where it is made faster than normal in certain areas. Of the two Psoriasis looks most likely in your case.

Both of these are best treated with prescription creams like Mometasone or Fluticasone (combined with Eberconazole in the case of Seb Derm). However if you cannot see a doctor for any reason then here is an over the counter regimen that can help:

1% Cortizone cream + 1% Clotrimazole cream: Mix in equal parts and apply twice a day for 14 days over the affected areas. If they look better then continue applying them once at night for about 10 days and alternate night for 10 days more and then stop. You can also use a bland moisturiser such as cetaphil intermittently if desired to moisturise the dry area.

NOTE: All of the above are available without a prescription.

Niether Seb Derm nor Psoriasis are sexually transmitted so don’t worry on that account. However avoid sex and masturbation for a few weeks if possible to give the penile skin a chance to recover.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries.