Experience:  Pulmonary/ Critical Care at Boston University

I was wondering how it is safe to use hydrocortisone 1% for?

Customer Question

HI there, I was wondering how long it is safe to use hydrocortisone 1% for? I get psoriasis on the penis glans and it takes about a week of constant use to control the psoriasis but as soon as i stop, its back in three days, so I have been using it on and off for three years.
JA: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No it was someone from here who originally suggested I use hydrocortisone 1%
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dermatologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. Diego, experienced in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care.

Hydrocortisone is a low potency topical steroid. However long term use can cause side effects, in your particular case skin atrophy is the main concern. Another problem is hypo-pigmentation of the area. If you don't have any of these side effects then you can continue to use the cream as long as you need it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Skin atrophy is what I am worried about. Can you suggest a safe level of use?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also, what problems can skin atrophy cause?

At the moment you are in a very low dose steroid and the risk is minimal. You can stop using the cream and see if you have any symptoms back. In case your symptoms return you can use it for a month and then stop for a month.

Thin skin and easy bruising are the main problems with skin atrophy.

Please rate my answer.