Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My son is 17 and he has had a cold. That subsided and he

Customer Question

My son is 17 and he has had a cold. That subsided and he woke up with swollen feet and hand that hurt. There were little bumps . The next day the hands and feet were more swollen and the bumps were more like raised red splotches. Then it spread to various areas between finger different parts of his arm. Some look like a welt with a thin red line around it. He also thinks he may have gotten a spider bite. It swelled up but noew you can't see the bite. He says his joints hurt. He is still coughing there's one on his forehead ,elbows Arms. A little on lower body mostly upper . He took a whole day of Claritin . Allegra. Now he was going to take bennedryl and Zyrtec....?????? Help
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 12 months ago.

Hi and welcome.

Your son is most likely suffering from a viral illness either chikenpox or measles, though measles is most likely. Both of these are self limiting conditions in a week to 10 days time and treatment is supportive that includes bed rest, plenty of fluids and he can take ibuprofen for fever and pain. It is better to get him examined by your physician for exact diagnosis. He can take bennedryl or zyrtec for itching.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
He's had the chicken pox and it's not the measles . What else could it be . He gotten this before

Thanks for reply.

Then this can be generalised allergic reaction. Insect bite can not be ruled out as you mentioned about spider bite,Allergy to some food or any synthetic material is possible. Treatment would be same.Zyrtec would help in this.

Wish you good health.