Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

One week now of a very itchy blotchy raised rash that seems

Customer Question

One week now of a very itchy blotchy raised rash that seems to come back at night and go down some during the day. Rash is feels hot. No other symptoms. No changes in diet, meds, soap or diet.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: One week. Tried cortozone, calamine and benedryl. Went to urgent care yesterday because i thought it was bedbugs but the exterminator could not find anything. The urgent care dtr gave perdisone, hydroxyzen for itch and just started on this last night. Seemed to help. Not knowing what this is is very frustrating
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with experience in treating all neurological and other medical conditions and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

Any possibility of tick bites recently?

Have you recently been to tick infested areas like wood etc?

Is it a single rash or are there multiple?

What part of the body?

Approximate size?

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I am a dermatologist - your symptoms are most suggestive of Acute Urticaria. Allergic Dermatitis would be a second possibility but is not as likely.

Acute Urticaria is a skin reaction pattern caused due to the release of histamine in the skin which produces itchy bumps and rashes which usually only last a few minutes to hours. The condition is essentially harmless but can have considerable nuisance value.

Acute Urticaria can have many causes raging from prescription drugs like penicillin or an OTC drug like aspirin to systemic infection (either bacterial or viral), food additives or seafood or intestinal worms. The last is usually only of significance in children. There are numerous rarer causes, however if all of the above are ruled out and a patient is not getting better after 4-6 weeks then I always get a patients thyroid function test done as hypothyroidism can be a cause.

Many times it is not possible to find an exact cause and neither is this required since most episodes of acute urticaria are self limited, usually within 4-6 weeks of onset of symptoms. So I would recommend just continuing the Hydroxyzine (the oral steroids will usually be a shorter course and stopped within 1 week). for 2 weeks and applying calamine lotion over the affected areas if symptoms occur, and seeing whether the they recur on stopping the medicine after 2 weeks. If they do then the hydroxyzine can be repeated for 2 weeks more. If the symptoms still come back then you will need to see a dermatologist in person to get the appropriate blood tests.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries.

P.S: Tablet Claritin 10 mg once or twice a day as required is an over the counter alternative to Hydroxyzine if you run out.