Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

Is it normal to suddenly develop a light jagged border

Customer Question

Is it normal for moles to suddenly develop a light brown jagged border around them? Could that be because of slight weight gain?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I am going to a dermatologist tomorrow. I am on cymbalta and trazedone.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have a history of really had sunburns and I did the tanning bed for months at a time. Skin cancer and breast cancer run in my family.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?
Customer: Just the moles look weird. They have definitely changed since last year.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

Would a photograph of the affected area be possible at your convenience?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is one of them zoomed up. It's kinda hard to see. Sorry.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 months ago.

Apologies did not get an alert that you had responded. Taking a look at the picture now - will get back to you shortly.

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the photograph. This mole shows varied pigmentation with lighter brown pigmentation extending out from the margins - this is significant given your history of sunburns and tanning bed use as well as your family history of skin cancer. The dermatologist tomorrow will most likely look at this mole with an instrument called a dermatoscope and then if that shows unusual mole features the mole will probably be biopsied. This will prove conclusively whether it is harmful or not.

As for weight gain causing changes in moles - this does not usually occur unless the weight gain is due to a hormonal cause such as oral contraceptive use since these hormones can cause enlargement of benign moles.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries.