Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.

I've had nail fungus in my thumb couple of years that comes

Customer Question

I've had nail fungus in my thumb for a couple of years that comes and goes. Because it seems to have subsided in the last 6 mos., I thought it was safe to go to a nail salon for a manicure. After a manicure a few days ago, I worked at my bartending job and felt an infection getting worse over the course of today. Within hours after dipping my hands in dishwater (antimicrobial detergent used), the pain at the edge of the nail increased. Hours later, my whole thumb is throbbing. I dipped it in 70% rubbing alcohol, applied neosporin and am waiting for the pain to subside. It's not. Now I'm wondering if I should wash off the neosporin and try an antifungal treatment which I have. How long should I wait to see if antibacterial ointment lessens the pain before I try anti-fungal cream? When I first contracted the nail fungus it manifested as a circular, blue-green colony that was perfectly symmetrical at the base underneath my nail at the cuticle. Within hours, I had a shooting pain through my thumb and up my arm. I applied anti-fungal ointment the next day, tea tree oil and the colony dissolved and a minor, yellowish thickening of the nail persisted. Tea tree oil applications daily beat back the discomfort, but it would come and go for the 2 years. Again, it seems to have stopped in the last 6 mos., but this new irritation after the nail salon and dishwashing with bare hands has me confused as to how to proceed. Help!
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 4 months ago.

I'm Dr Chaithanya attending you

Nail fungus doesn't go sooner by local applications

You need a course of oral antifungals like terbinafine and itracanozole

Local application like antifungal nail polish can be additive help

You take these drugs for 6 to 12 weeks, until your nail grows back normally

Penlac[ciclopirox] is a antifungal nailpolish that can be applied daily, can be a big help

Your doctor will prescribe these drugs

Please leave a positive rating at the top right corner of the page, only then my answer counts

Any follow up questions can be asked after the rating

Any bonus is well appreciated