DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Internist/homeopath
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor/homeopathy medical and homeopathic approaches to skin disorders.
24257177

I was diagnosed with secondary and accordingly I received 2

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with secondary syphilis and accordingly I received 2 benzathine benzylpenicillin injections ( 1.2 m x 2) intramuscularly on 8 May. Before the treatment I had the following symptoms: rash on the balms of the hands, soles, and penis, joint pain, and a swollen lymph gland in the neck. After 12 hours of treatment, I experienced joint pain ( a symptom that I already had had) and took sodium diclofenac to stop it. Few days after the treatment, the rash on my penis went away, the joint pain also went away, and the rash on my balms and soles became less severe. Right now I still have two symptoms: a swollen lymph node( which I feel that it has become smaller) and rash on my balms, which has become lighter but not gone completely. My questions are:
1. How long do the symptoms ( the rash and the swollen node) need to go away after receiving treatment?
2. Could the sodium diclofenac have affected the penicillin treatment that I took earlier on that day?
3. When do I have to be tested to check whether I am cured or not?
Regards
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 11 months ago.

1. It is questionable if this were a rash from syphillis.

If it is not gone within a months, it should be biopsied.

2. No.

3. Specialized testing can be done at 3 weeks.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

what are the cases in which syphilis treatment failure may happen?

Sorry

That is really not something that can be answered specifically.

Not enough treatment.

Medications not given correctly

Usually, it is exquisitely sensitive to penicillin.

Please click a positive rating.

Then come back if needed.