dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology

Just underneath the free edge of my nail, I have been

Customer Question

Just underneath the free edge of my nail, I have been getting really dry skin and its not bothered me until lately, I am a beautician so I use my hands a lot, especially when doing nails, anyway it has started to crack and bleed and it is really saw and painful, and I need to know how to kind of fix it because I need to be able to work properly, also I need to know if it's something I can infect other people with
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Do you notice any redness or scaling?
Customer: Yes my thumb is quite red, Iv been dealing with this for a couple of weeks, but it has gotten a lot worse, it's hurting to even type right now
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DermDoc replied 4 months ago.

Associated itching,peeling of skin?

Frequent hand wash?

Any other medical history?

Are you taking any medications?

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It does itch at times but also when the skin peels it really does hurt, I try not to peel it but sometimes the skin will lift and catch on things. I do wash my hand regularly, but o also moistureise then after every wash. I'm not on any medication