Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Have itching in crotch area. I itch till it bleeds, also

Customer Question

Have itching in crotch area. I itch till it bleeds, also awhile after a shower there's a bad odor.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 10 months ago.

Hello

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

Since how long you have this severe itching in crotch area?

Do you have any other known medical illness like diabetes?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 months ago.

This is Dr. David

it sounds like you most likely have a jock itch from a groin fungal infection

fungus like to grow in areas of darkness and moisture in your groin area.

skin fungal infection cause a lot of itching and the skin can bleed with severe itching and fungal infection.

you need to see a doctor about this

there are over the counter jock itch fungal treatments like Tinactin or Lamasil creams and sprays and powders.

there are stronger antifungal prescriptions powders like Nystatin powders and antifungal pills like Diflucan which can help clear up your groin fungal infection.

showering and using soap will not kill a groin fungal infection.

you need antifungal powder and sprays

and you need to keep your groin area as dry as possible.

powders are good at keeping the area dry.

I would not use baby wipes, they would add more moisture in the area .

I would not use hand sanitizer there

I would use antifungal powders and sprays.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 10 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for coming back online.

The symptoms you have described of having severe itching in crotch area is most likely because of fungal infection.Typically the area becomes itchy and irritable, mainly in the crease between the top of the leg and the genitals.The bad odor is from this fungal infection only.

Apply ointment containing clotrimazole.It is available at the counter without the prescription.Apply the cream to the surrounding 4-6 cm of normal skin in addition to the rash/itching area.

If still after this the symptoms of severe itching persists then you may need oral anti fungal medication like fluconazole (diflucan) or Itraconazole (sporanox).Also check your blood sugar levels.Keep your genital area clean and dry.Avoid undergarments made from synthetic materials.

So bot***** *****ne is that I advise you to apply ointment clotrimazole to the crotch area. This will help you greatly to treat the severe itching.If still after this it persists,then you need oral anti fungal treatment as described above.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

This is Dr. David

I am glad the other expert has agreed with me that your groin itching symptoms and foul odor is from a jock itch fungal infection.

I would not use clotrimazole cream which can add more moisture to your groin area.

I would use an antifungal powder or spray like Nystatin powder or Tinactin or Lamasil spray.

these will be more effective in bad groin fungal infection.

you should also see a doctor to make sure you don't have a bacterial over infection in the area. when there is open skin which can occur.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com