dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology

I've had a patch on my gum -3 weeks & it's very painful.

Customer Question

I've had a white patch on my gum for 2-3 weeks & it's very painful. It's making my teeth & jaw hurt now & I beginning to feel concerned. Should I make an appointment with my dentist or my doctor?
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: Yes, some swelling. I went 6- 8 weeks ago.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: For a regular cleaning & they saw no problems
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  khagihara replied 4 months ago.

Can you attach the photos here? How old are you? Are you a male or a female? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? Exactly where is the patch? On a scale of 0-10, what is it with 0 being no pain and 10 being the strongest pain? What is it like? Does it radiate to somewhere else? Is the pain consistent? Is it getting worse? Any other symptoms? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history?