Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had these small red bumps on my groin area. They are not

Customer Question

Hi there i had these small red bumps on my groin area. They are not itchy at all and if i pick them they just bleed alot. Went to see three doctors and said its not herpes what do you think?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you attach a picture of the red bumps? And preferably either a close-up picture or a high resolution image that will allow for zooming in.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here it is
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello?

Thank you for the picture. I have zoomed in on each of the lesions that are visible on the picture.

This definitely does not have the appearance of herpes. I also notice that you said in an earlier question that these have been present for a month, and it would be atypical for herpes lesions to be present for a month.

As for what they could be, there are a couple of possibilities. Some of these bumps have a appearance of molluscum contagiosum, which is a different type of viral infection The characteristic appearance of molluscum contagiosum is of a central depression or dimple. However, it looks like you have scratched these lesions, and it makes it difficult to see whether a central depression or dimple is present. The usual molluscum contagiosum infection will clear spontaneously, but will typically takes months to clear.

It also could be a reaction to insect bites, which is why one of the doctors that you saw raised the possibility of lice or scabies. I do not see any evidence of lice or scabies, but a microscopic examination may be necessary to make the diagnosis.

So, in summary, it clearly does not look like herpes. It certainly could be molluscum contagiosum, and if so, will usually clear spontaneously.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank You for your reply the doctor gave me lice lotion for it which i have used. I was guessing molluscum contagiosum also i may have accidentally used my room mates towel. So i am guessing it may have came from that is there any cream to take this away?

It is not as simple as applying a cream to make it go away.

For most healthy people, doing nothing is the most common approach, since it will typically resolve spontaneously. But if the patient wants to do something, an option for molluscum contagiosum is to use products that are destructive to the bumps, such as salicylic acid, which is primarily in products that are marketed for warts.