dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology

Complaint: I have a bright red rash around the circumference

Customer Question

I have a bright red rash around the circumference of my armpit. It's quite painful so much that I've stopped working and tried to lie down with my arms extended so that the armpit skin doesn't have contact with itself. A few days ago I decided to stop using a thai crystal deodorant that I purchased at Whole Foods because I felt that my armpits were too dry. I did not use any deodorant for one day after stopping and then on the day after that, yesterday, and this morning I've been using a fragrance-free, aluminum free deodorant by Every Man Jack that I also purchased at Whole Foods. I decided to switch to this one because I thought that it was a more natural formula that did not contain aluminum of any kind, while the thai crystal is supposed to have a form of aluminum that is too large to absorb in the skin. What did I do wrong?
Other notable facts:
I have suffered from similar rashes, although not as severe as this one while using another deodorant that I was using for years from Walgreens that I believe did contain aluminum. There was nothing particularly natural advertised about it.
What I've tried so far:
I've tried aloe vera cream and calamine lotion. The calamine lotion seemed to make it worse although some time did elapse that I was out walking around. The aloe vera only provided temporary relief. I've also shaved down the armpit hair to length of a medium length beard.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DermDoc replied 4 months ago.

Associated itching,burning sensation?

Is there any red ring formation around rash?

Since how long have you been suffering from?

Excessive sweating?

Any other medical history?

Are you taking any medications?

Waiting for your response.