Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Physician
Experience:  14 years of Family Practice Experience including most dermatology problems
13781349

I believe I have all the characteristics of scabies. I am 66

Customer Question

Hi, i believe I have all the characteristics of scabies. I am 66 years old and retired. My husband still works. Can't understand how this has happened to us! I have had an exterminator twice and he has confirmed definitely not bed bugs but has treated for bb and mites. Exterminator is of the opinion it's bird mites because I have markings on my face and around my mouth and possibly inside my nose. I went to an MD who wasn't sure what it was! She prescribed Permethrin cream. I have applied 2x so far and most bumps are diminished significantly, but still itch some and an occasional new one seems to surface. I am unable to see a dermatologist until July! By that time, hopefully, I'm all better! Questions for you are:
How often can I use the Permethrin from neck to feet? Should I give it a 3rd try?
Should I use on my hair and scalp; face and inside an itchy nose?
How much longer before I am cured? I've been at this now for 3 weeks (2 wks have been treating for it)
Do I need to continue to wash everything in hot water daily and dry in high heat daily or is every couple of days ok?
Should I get a blood test to see if I'm cured? I don't want to become reinfected
When can I sleep in the same bed with my husband? He has it too; started with it first and has been treating it as I have.
Should I ask for the oral pill, Ivermectin?
Anything else you can add will be much appreciated! Thanks
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Anthony Bray MD replied 5 months ago.

Hello!

I would apply the permethrin cream neck to feet two applications 10 days apart...

It does take some time for the rash and itching to subside...

The symptoms may respond to oral antihistamine ( Zyrtec 10 mg Am and Benadryl 50mg at bedtime would be of help )

Apply a steroid cream ( over the counter 1 percent hydrocortisone ) 3 to 3 times a day to active rash areas

These measures should help If you have scabies ...

Follow up with dermatologist I agree....

3rd application may be tried ...YES to that ..

Post pictures of rash to page if that may be helpful

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD