Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine

I am a massage therapist I have developed a dry itchy patch

Customer Question

I am a massage therapist I have developed a dry itchy patch that flakes in the middle of my left Palm
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: Several months A secondary fungal infection invaded sometimes keeping it moist helps I am taking a fungal killer and probiotics
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: The back of my neck at the hairline is also itchy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

Hi Customer. Are you in good health otherwise? And is there any redness or rash along the hairline in back?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am in relatively good health. And yes there is a rash at the hairline that is very itchy it goes a little ways up into hair
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

This is a comon place for inflammatory or autoimmune skin conditions such as seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis and dyshidrotic eczema. Any of these can involve the hands as well. There tends to be dryness, lots of itch and flaking...due primarily to dysfunctional oil production in the skin. While it is always a good idea to see a dermatologist when one has a new rash, both to nail down the diagnosis and to get started on a rational treatment plan, all of these conditions are treated in a similar least initially.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

Principles of care include avoiding hot water and drying soaps or chemicals, frequent hydration and use of moisturizers, removal of scale when possible, and anti-inflammatory creams to reduce the underlying process.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My armpits are also effected. They are ringed with red rash and are sometimes itchy
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

These conditions often affect hair-bearing areas, including the axillae. Fungi also frequently inhabit this area as they like warm, moist, dark areas. Some rashes worsen with secondary infection by a dermatophyte (fungus). Either way, using an antifungal cream such as miconazole or clotrimazole twice daily can be helpfu. Some individuals need to alternate an anti-fungal cream with an anti-inflammatory cream to get their rash to fade.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

Also consider any chemical agents that might be touching these areas such as a shampoo, conditioner, underarm deodorant, new soap or lotion. One must alwasy rule out an allergic reaction as the cause. This can also improve with anti-inflammatory creams (as well as avoidance of the allergen).