Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak,
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center
16855155

Why would a normal sized bruise on the inside of my upper

Customer Question

Why would a normal sized bruise on the inside of my upper arm spread to my elbow and become much wider
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 7 months ago.

Greetings

A bruise is the result of small amount of blood inside the skin or the subcutaneous tissue. White blood cells then absorb the blood and spread it to the neighboring skin tissue before it eventually disintegrate and disappears. While it might look like it is getting worse, in realty, it is disappearing. So, do not be alarmed by the the spread to a wider area. It is expected

If this answers your question, please complete the rating above. It's how we get credit for the service. Best wishes

Basically, the bruise gets absorbed by the blood cell which in the process spreads it to the neighboring skin before it eventually disappears. It does not mean that it's getting worse. Quite the contrary