Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Itchy flat red rash between my thighs and my arm pits. Had

Customer Question

Itchy flat red rash between my thighs and my arm pits. Had it for 4 days now
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I'm very allergic to dust. I'm a kindergarten teacher and I just cleaned and packed up my class room for the end of the year. I had a bad sneezing allergic reaction and that night I saw the rash. Are they related? Should I be taking antihistamine?
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: I'm do not take any meds and I'm totally healthy other than this annoying rash.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 8 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Since you are having other allergic symptoms, it is very likely that the rash is also allergic. However, more can be said if a picture of the rash could be reviewed.

Could you attach a picture of the rash?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can try to add a photo. I just woke up and has spread from about 4 inches inside each thigh to around 8 inches. Very flat and long marks.

Thank you for the picture.

Yes, this has the appearance of an allergic rash and is likely related to the cleaning that you did in the classroom.

There are a couple of home interventions that can be done for the rash. Yes, an oral antihistamine would be reasonable, and would also help if you are having any residual respiratory allergy symptoms. Another option would be to use an over the counter hydrocortisone cream applied topically to the rash.

There are also several interventions that can be soothing and ease the itching, which can help because scratching or rubbing can make it worse. Applying cool compresses or soaking in cool salt water can be helpful. Applying calamine lotion or a moisturizer also may be soothing.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm on the first day of a week long vacation in Orlando,FL. I live in SC. Otherwise I would be going to my own doctor right now. Do I need to seek out a walk in clinic here? i have been using prescription strength hydrocortisone on it all 4 days and taking non drowsy antihistamine. Worried that it doubled in size, I have to walk all over theme parks in heat, and I'm suppose to swim and use hot tubs at our resort. If I go in to clinic is there anything more they can do for me other than what we've discussed or would it waste my family's time?

If you have already been doing an antihistamine and topical steroids, the usual next consideration would be a course of systemic steroids, usually oral prednisone, although more severe rashes may be treated with a steroid injection followed or oral prednisone.

It would be reasonable to be seen at an Urgent Care Center or Walk-In Clinic, because there are not other treatment options available over the counter. There used to be a couple of clinics near the theme parks, but I am sure that the front desk at your hotel can inform you of the closest clinic.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I will go to one of those this morning. Maybe a shot will jumpstart the healing so I can be well for my family. Yay! What a fun vacation kickoff! Thank you so much for your help! I've been debating all night what to do while I'm lying awake itching like crazy. Have a great Memorial Day!!

You are very welcome.

Have a great vacation!