dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I just lost half my toe nail from a false nail, what should

Customer Question

I just lost half my toe nail from a false nail, what should I do?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I went and got false nails on my toe nails yesterday. I stubbed my pinky toe and half my nail came off. Granted I have tiny feet. (Tiny nails). So my little pinky toe I thought was nothing. I hated how it looked so I took them all off. They all came off relatively easy. But my big toe was a little harder. It finally came off. But I had no feeling. I was picking at my nail a little bit because it felt as though there was glue left or I was just pulling off the top of my nail. I thought it was glue I was lifting up, but when I turned on the light it was half my toenail! Ahh! & the other half is stuck. It doesn't really hurt too bad. Oh. And I did cut it off with nail clippers. But half is still there.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: I had a medical abortion about 3 months ago. I doubt that would have anything to do with it, but yeah..
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for your question.

Do you mean to say that half of your false great toe nail is still attached and half of it has come off?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, I took off the whole false nail. Then I was feeling my REAL nailunder my blanket and I started to pick at it. (How you just pick at your nails to make them shorter.)Then half of my real nail just came up like nothing. And I cut it off with nail clippers and half of it is still on my nail bed.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for clarifying.

Is the exposd nail bed area from which the toe nail has been removed raw?

Does any fluid ooze out from the area?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I went to work and I had a couple blisters when I got off(I think they were blisters) from being on my feet all day. They were under my nail and when I pushed on it, water-like fluid came out. It only happened twice. And some blood. But now the bed where half the nail came off is just raw.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
But those blisters weren't recent. Like 1-2 weeks ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That's my nail^