dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I just lost half my toe nail from a false nail, what should

Customer Question

I just lost half my toe nail from a false nail, what should I do?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I went and got false nails on my toe nails yesterday. I stubbed my pinky toe and half my nail came off. Granted I have tiny feet. (Tiny nails). So my little pinky toe I thought was nothing. I hated how it looked so I took them all off. They all came off relatively easy. But my big toe was a little harder. It finally came off. But I had no feeling. I was picking at my nail a little bit because it felt as though there was glue left or I was just pulling off the top of my nail. I thought it was glue I was lifting up, but when I turned on the light it was half my toenail! Ahh! & the other half is stuck. It doesn't really hurt too bad. Oh. And I did cut it off with nail clippers. But half is still there.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: I had a medical abortion about 3 months ago. I doubt that would have anything to do with it, but yeah..
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for your question.

Do you mean to say that half of your false great toe nail is still attached and half of it has come off?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, I took off the whole false nail. Then I was feeling my REAL nailunder my blanket and I started to pick at it. (How you just pick at your nails to make them shorter.)Then half of my real nail just came up like nothing. And I cut it off with nail clippers and half of it is still on my nail bed.

Thanks for clarifying.

Is the exposd nail bed area from which the toe nail has been removed raw?

Does any fluid ooze out from the area?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I went to work and I had a couple blisters when I got off(I think they were blisters) from being on my feet all day. They were under my nail and when I pushed on it, water-like fluid came out. It only happened twice. And some blood. But now the bed where half the nail came off is just raw.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But those blisters weren't recent. Like 1-2 weeks ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That's my nail^