Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I was looking information on penile skin irritation and came

Customer Question

I was looking for some information on penile skin irritation and came across this. Every once in a while I get some dry skin and irritation on my penis. It usually goes away rather quickly and it's usually after prolonged use so I've written it off as just normal friction based irritation. But, a female I had Sex with once (no protection), but recently alerted me to the fact she tested positive for herpes shortly after our rendezvous. Naturally, I'm suddenly concerned if there's more to this... I still don't think it resembles anything I've seen online relating to herpes, but obviously I'm not the expert here. Is it possible you might be able to help?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 6 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It is not typical for herpes to cause intermittent dry skin. The typical lesions of genital herpes could start as an inflamed area, but would then progress to a blister or ulcer. So the description does not sound worrisome for herpes.

However, with the sexual history, it would be appropriate for you to have a blood test for herpes. If she developed symptoms shortly after an encounter with you, you could still be the source, because some people with herpes do not have any recurrent sores. And if you were not the source, she may have had the infection when you had sex with her, so being checked would be appropriate to detect if you have become infected.

So, the description of the penile skin does not sound worrisome, but the recent sexual encounter warrants being checked.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, the question can be directed to me via my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/