Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak,
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center
16855155

I place A&D ointment on my lips and i had a allergic

Customer Question

I place A&D ointment on my lips and i had a allergic reaction to it. My lips are now blistered, red and feel like they are burned. (No other systems)
I have taken Benadryl, Cortizone shot, sulfamethoxazole-tmp, doxycycline and hydrocotizone and none of it works.
Please help
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 7 months ago.

Greetings

• If it is a true allergic reaction, these medication should work but it might take some time. When did this happen and how long ago did you take these meds?
  • If there is no response to these medications after a reasonable period of time, then you will have to question the "allergic reaction". Have you taken this ointment before ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It started Wednesday 3/25. I have never takes A&D before. My lip is burning like crazy

And when did you take these medications ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the antibiotics 3/25 the others today

And when did you take the Cortizone shot and if you know how much (this question is the most important)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Cort Shot today, 1cc

It is most likely an allergic reaction, but contact dermatitis is also possible, both should respond to cortisone, the most important medication you took. It will definitely take more than a day to see a response and if you do not notice some improvement 24 hours after the cortisone shot, you need to be reevaluated. You will then most likely need an oral steroid taper. I would continue to take the Benadryl for now, or to avoid drowsiness, Claritin (OTC).

Let me know if you need any more clarification. If this answers your question, please complete the rating above. It's how we get credit for our service. You may still email me with questions, after the rating. Best wishes