Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a boil under my breast and a skin rash with a little

Customer Question

I have a boil under my breast and a skin rash with a little blood and a red streak going up my breast its warm painful
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 12 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. If there is a red streak extending from a boil, then that is concerning that the infection is getting worse, and ill likely need oral antibiotics. A boil also will frequently need to be drained to facilitate healing. A skin rash also can develop from an infection, but also can occur as a reaction to the topical antibiotic. There are many reasons for a boil to form in the skin under the breast, but it is most often due to an infection of a sweat gland, follicle, or a cyst in the skin. It is also possible to get a boil in the breast tissue, itself, rather than in the skin, but the description sounds more like an infection in the skin. Since oral antibiotic are likely necessary, it would be better for you to see your doctor. If you can attach a picture of the boil, rash, and red streak, then I may be able to better comment upon the cause of the rash and the degree of concern about the red streak, although I realize that this is an area that is potentially embarrassing. The picture does not need to include the breast, itself, but only the boil, rash and red streak.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok i hope the pictures can show whats going on
This rash looks like it is more related to the infection, rather than a reaction to the topical antibiotics. The appearance on the picture is that the infection is of such severity that oral antibiotics would be appropriate, so it would be better for you to be seen. It would require palpation of the boil to be able to clearly say whether drainage is also necessary, but with the appearance on the picture, there si a good chance that it will require drainage.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/