khagihara
khagihara, Medical doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

I recently have been getting dry spots/pimples on the

Customer Question

I recently have been getting dry spots/pimples on the vermilion border for the past 2-3 months, primarily at the corners of my mouth. They are never clustered (like a cold sore), just dry red spots, occasionally with a single whitehead. I previously took a thyroid stimulator to help with weight loss, and have lost a substantial amount of weight in the past 3 months, but I stopped taking the thyroid stimulator because of the potential negative side effects, as I read hormones play directly into lip acne. I also work in the bar industry, and about 2 months ago I got really badly sun burned. Not sure if prolonged lack of sunlight and then all of a sudden exposure to too much played into this. My lips may have been chapped from this, or from the dehydration caused by the weight loss supplements, but my lips have been chapped for some time, and I get these red patches and occasional acne like pimples around my mouth constantly. I thought they were cold sores, and I told my dermatologist this, and without examining me prescribed me an anti-viral, and I took lysine on my own because I was so fed up with it. It should be noted my dermatologist doesn't give me much face time and as I said didn't even examine me. 2 months into the anti viral and lysine, the red patches at corners of the mouth, chapped lips, and occasional pimple are still there, so I am convinced they aren't cold sores. I am particularly worried about one hard white bump that is on the lower vermilion border that has literally been there for 2 months. All of these things are uncharacteristic of a cold sore, and I read it might be something called exfoliative chelitis, but I am tired of looking around so I came here. Any help would be appreciated.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?
Customer: 2-3 months. No.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes. I was taking an anti viral but it hasn't helped, so I'm convinced it isn't viral.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dermatologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Other medicine I am on is sulfameth/tmp 800/160MG, and it should be noted that when I was on the thyorid stimulator a month and a half ago, it made me lick my lips a lot which I know can cause dryness and such.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Specifically for the hard raised white bump on lower vermilion border, alcohol use is pretty high, trying to cut back. And I used to chew a can of tobacco a day for 5 years, but haven't done it since January.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also, for some odd reason, any time I eat, the redness seems to flare up.
Expert:  khagihara replied 6 months ago.
Can you attach the photos here? How old are you? Are you a male or a female? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Does anything make it better or worse? Any other symptoms? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have no means of attaching a photo. I am 23 and male. 6'3'' and about 290 pounds now. I used to weigh 346 pounds. Eating makes it worse. It does not respond to Abreva. I take lysine, iron, biotin, and a multivitamin as well. I think dry air, especially if its cold makes the redness at the corners of the mouth enflamed. No surgeries.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have tried very hard to not lick my lips in the past few weeks and the corners of the mouth seem to be improving slightly, but its still lingering, however the white bump on the lower vermilion border has not changed in the past 2 months, other than occasionally becoming more red. Could it be bacterial or fungal infection? Chelitis? Eczema?
Can you take the photos with your cellphone, transfer them to the computer, and then attach them? When you attach them, click the clip, choose the file, and click attach.