dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I am a 29 year old male, resident physician in the medical

Customer Question

I am a 29 year old male, resident physician in the medical field (not derm) . I have several (greater than 6) less than 1 cm hyperpigmented spots in the lateral aspect of my left axillary region, with at least one extending to the posterior portion of my upper arm... So the "spots" are not all clustered in the central portion of my axilla. I have probably had these for years but never thought much of them. I am quite sure they developed within the last 10 or 12 years.
In addition, I have numerous (at least 5 or 6) subcutaneous nodules in various parts of my body. They are very mobile and not tender. No overlying skin nodules. My mother has similar subq nodules but no skin discoloration like I do.
I have no other relevant symptoms. Now that I gave started thinking about having a family with my wife, the thought of mild Nf1 has crossed my mind. I know that it's either hereditary or spontaneous. I have read case reports of multiple lipomas (which I probably have) sometimes being associated with nf1. Also, I'm not even sure what I have is true "axillary freckling" given that it's more lateral than the pictures I've seen... Although technically it is in the axillary region. I am concerned though because of its high association with nf1. I am thinking about getting genetic testing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 6 months ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.Can you upload a photo of a representative spot?Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.