Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor , PGCSD( Dermatology)
6740150

I may have Balanitis, is it OK to use E45 cream. I have psoriasis

Customer Question

I may have Balanitis, is it OK to use E45 cream. I have psoriasis which I use E45 on elbows and knees.
JA: OK. The Dermatologist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Dermatologist can help you best.
Customer: The end of my penis is very red and has been for a few days now.
JA: Is there anything else the Dermatologist should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dermatologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.
HelloWelcome to Justanswer website.Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern Since how long you have balanitis?Is there itching?Do you have history of diabetes?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have noticed this for a week, there is slight itching and I have not been diagnosed as having Diabetes. I am 60 years old.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can I use E45 cream to help.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.
Dear customerThank you for the quick reply. Yes,the symptoms you have described of end of penis getting red along with itching be due to a condition called balanitis.It is the inflammation of the skin covering the head (glans) of the penis. Its possible causes are:unhygenic conditions and tight foreskin lead to irritation by smegma,seborrhoeic dermatitis,psoriasis,contact allergy and other generalised skin conditions. Your psoriasis seems to be the probable cause.Another possibility is of fungal infection causing balanitis. Yes,you can apply E 45 cream which you are using for psoriasis.It is safe to use. Also apply ointment containing fusidic acid and betamethasone.It is available as over the counter.This will cure the fungal infection(if any) and the inflammation.This will help you greatly. If still after this,the symptoms persists,then you need to make an appointment with your skin doctor to have skin swabs for bacterial or fungal culture to confirm/rule out the infection & hence the treatment accordingly. Hope this helpedPlease use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to meMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.Thank you.Kind RegardsDr.Josh
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi thanks for the answer. I also use 'Diprosalic' that contains Betamethasone for my scalp (rarely) can I use that?
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.
Dear customerThank you for replying back. Diprosalic ointment contains two active ingredients, betamethasone dipropionate and salicylic acid.Betamethasone is quite safe but as it also contains the salicylic acid,it is a keratolytic & not fit to use on penis end.It is used to shed skin cells from the area to which it is applied. So it is not advised to use this cream on penis end. You can apply plain betamethasone cream.It is available as OTC without prescription. Hope this helpedPlease use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to meMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.Thank you.Kind RegardsDr.Josh
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK Thanks. I also use 'Dovobet' (red top) that contains calcipqotriol and betamethasone. Is this IK to use?
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.
Dovobet ointment contains two active ingredients, betamethasone and calcipotriol.Calcipotriol is a medicine that is a derivative of vitamin D.Betamethasone is a type of medicine called a topical cortiosteroid. Both the ingredients are safe to use at penis end & will help greatly in providing relief from itching & inflammation. So bot***** *****ne is yes,you can use dovobet safetly. Thank you.Kind RegardsDr.Josh
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK thanks for your answers.