TheGermDoctor, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  Infectious Diseases specialist. I treat dermatologic infections- incl. bacterial, viral and fungal.

If I had contact with a female when I was on the tail end of

Customer Question

If I had contact with a female when I was on the tail end of healing from a genital, HSV-2 outbreak, and the actual site, where the eruptions were, did not make any contact with their skin, would there be a high, low(er), or no risk of possible transmission? I was also wondering, the likelihood of the virus being contained in semen, as I know some ejeculate did get on her. I have been on anti-viral therapy since I noticed the symptoms, as well.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 5 months ago.
I would say the risk is "low".The highest risk for transmission is when there are active lesions present and person to person contact with skin, or ejaculate fluid. But in fact even when there are no active lesions some people can still "shed" virus- so it is not an absolute rule that one is safe if no lesions are present. Antivirals definitely lower the amount of virus present, as do condoms. But protection is by no means complete. It would be hard to quote you an exact odds that she will be infected- but I think "low" is the best descriptor I would use.Good luck and let me know if you have added questions.If not please provide a rating to the answer to show your question was answered
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But, with semen having the virus in it if it gets on their genital area? (Being on AV therapy). And part of my penis touching her genital area but not the part where the eruptions were?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
So as to say with being on valtrex since the start of this episode... is my whole genital area at high risk to expose or just the immediate area that would be where the eruption was? Cause the top of my penis did make some contact as well as some ejaculate to her genital area. (But I only had an eruption at the base, and that was covered by clothing)
Virus can be shed both in ejaculate fluid and from skin in the genital areaAs noted in your description there would still be some exposure- again being on Valtrex lowers the risk but it is still present.
Does that answer your question?If so- please rate the reply to acknowledge my answer
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 5 months ago.
Hello Welcome and Thank you for your query posted. My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern. Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service . Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information: I am a Dermatologist by profession and I would be in a better position to help you in your query. Would you like me to help or answer further ? Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic
I am still awaiting if you have any follow up to my above answer-If not, kindly rate my response, and feel free to ignore the above interruption.