Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist
Experience:  Senior Consultant MBBS DNB (DVD)

I have been dealing with an unexplained red bumpy itchy rash

Customer Question

I have been dealing with an unexplained red bumpy itchy rash for a year. Along with joint pain and fatigue. I did have a raised Ana level but rumatoligist says no lupus. Dermatologist biopsies says show characteristics of eczema and allergic dermatitis. Allergist says the biopsy test was very broad and not specific and she dosnt believe it's allergy related. Hormone Doctor suspects some type of auto immune issue. Sometimes it's blistery. Sometimes (especially on face it peels similar to what a laser peel would look like). The sun does seem to make it worse as do high stress. Help!!
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 5 months ago.
Please attach a picture here
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have 100's of pics...they look different on each part of the body. Possibly different rash and different causes..maybe that's what's throwing the doctors off..IDK
Have you had a full ANA panel?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes....and I'm not doubting the doctor.....but I was in his office all of 10 min (outside the time it took to draw the blood). But sometimes labs do make mistakes. It took me 3 months to get into his office and when the panel was run my symptoms were at there low point. They wax and wain. But always there. Don't know if that would make a difference in the results. Sometimes i have really stiff inflamed joint pain more in my right thumb and wrist area, but sometimes knees, neck and back. I've started documenting with pictures because I think sometimes the doctors think I'm exaggerating. I also had a blood test done for food allergies...showed some food senstivities but not true allergies (as was explained to me). The only other thing the rhumetologist said was my thyroid levels were not quite right but it was still functioning properly(?)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also went to a orthopedic doctor who said I had arthritis so bad I needed surgery on my right wrist. I wasn't ready to commit to that because it was such a sudden onset that I couldn't quite believe it was that bad that fast. Had to demand an MRI, which I took to the rhumetologist and he said he saw nothing on the MRI to warrant that, only typical stuff normal for my age (55). Said my panel showed no inflammatory markers but I sat in his office with swollen ankles and hands. I'm a mess.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't typically have knuckles and ankles the size of elephants! I'm 5'4 and weigh 115 lbs
I'll opt out for another expert to help you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will you forward our conversation thus far or do I have to start over?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 5 months ago.
Hello Welcome and Thank you for your query posted. My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern. Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service . Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information: Would you like me to answer your query as a Dermatologist? Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic
HelloPlease do let me know if you still have your concern. I am awaiting a message from you .I would be happy to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't understand the question. I'm looking for professional advice. I would assume a dermatologist might have a good idea of where to go from here. What other capacity would you've ble to give me sound advice? That is not a disrespectful is a desperate one.
Thank for your reply.I wanted permission to answer your query and hence I asked.From your history and the rash , it does indicate that you have an autoimmune in nature rash called Polymorphous light eruption, also known as polymorphic light eruption. This is an itchy rash caused by sun exposure or radiational in people who have developed a sensitivity to sunlight. The rash usually appears as red, tiny bumps or slightly raised patches of skin just like how you have got. I would suggest you should get a skin patch test or a photosensitive patch test done to prove it. The biopsy as you have mentioned above is normally not specific and is indicative of allergy. This can be treated with the use of a good physical block sunscreen daily in the morning . Use of Aveeno Skin relief moisturiser at night. In take of beta Carotene supplements once a day for 3 months to reduce the photosensitivity. You should use a prescription cream called tacrolimus 0.1 % on the area twice a day for 10 days or more till the area heals. This is a non steroidal approach. Do not use steroids on the skin for long periods of time. Please do let me know if you have any further queries.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll try getting a second opinion from a different dermatoligist requesting a patch test. Thank you for your help...
Do you want me to release the rating service application on your page ?Please do leave me a feedback for my opinion provided
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes please. You deserve s good one. Even if it dose'nt work. I at least feel like you listened to me Thank you again
Thank you so much I have released the rating service application on your page. Please do leave me a feedback for my opinion provided. RegardsDr Pravin