Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My hair is thinning and i have red bumps around my follicles;

Customer Question

my hair is thinning and i have red bumps around my follicles; what can i do to stop and prevent this from happeneing
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 7 months ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.Please send me the photos so that I am able to help you in a better way.Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
uploading photos now
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
photo attached
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the reply.The hair thinning and loss is evident here. This does not seem like product related hair loss and will not get better by using shampoos and other hair products. The first thing to rule out here is thyroid dysfunction since hair thinning is one of the first signs and you are in the age where autoimmune thyroiditis can present like this. This can be done simply by getting thyroid function tests done.You still have visible hair follicles, to counter the hair thinning and loss, PRP (platelet rich plasma) therapy is fruitful and will recover lost hair from follicles which occurred in the past 6 months and also make the existing hair thicker and more dense. Please consult your PCP for a referral to the dermatologist if your thyroid function tests are normal.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 7 months ago.
Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thanks for your speedy response...I have had my thyroid check and all appears to be ok
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 7 months ago.
Alright, that's great news. Have you also had your other hormones checked like Testosterone levels, FSH, LH etc?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
not lately...what this kind of treatment be covered under medical insurance?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
will this kind of treatment and are there any alternate remedies for this
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 7 months ago.
This treatment will be covered under insurance. Since, hair loss is a cause for social embarrassment and it has been established that social embarrassment can cause depression. So, dermatologists are happy to perform these procedures under insurance cover.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 7 months ago.
.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 months ago.