Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

I'm a 56 yr old woman who had Mohs surgery BSC

Customer Question

Hello, I'm a 56 yr old woman who had Mohs surgery for a BSC on 4/20/16 on my right nostril. I have a dime-sized skin graft taken from my hairline behind my right ear. I also have naturally blond hair that has been the bane of my existence because it is very thin, fine and straight. Imagine my horror this morning seeing 12 coarse black hairs growing out of the graft! I'm to get the stitches out tomorrow, but by a nurse - the surgeon is only in that practice once a month to do the Mohs. During the surgery, the nurse asked if hair would grow on the graft and the surgeon said 'very unlikely'. Can you give a little insight as to why he would use a graft where hair grows for my nose? Short term, I don 't see how I can shave it since it's still tender....can I use a depilatory cream without harming the graft? And long term, would I be numbed with lidocaine if I opt for laser hair removal? At my age I'm no longer vain about such things but this seems like it will be a lot of maintenance! Thank you for your help...
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.
This is Dr. DavidI would cut the hair short with scissors for now.that is why I don't like skin grafting for small basal cell cancers on the nose.I prefer electron superficial radiation therapy for small basal cell cancers of the nose.long term once the skin heals up, usaully the skin learns it is in a new location and stops growing hair could be numbed there if you wanted laser hair removal there in the future. that would be fine.let me know if you have other questions.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much, I am in L.A. and interviewed several surgeons and not one offered electron superficial radiation therapy to me as an option. I expect with my skin and family history, I will go through Mohs again at some point so thank you for your recommendation so I can research it. I appreciate your help.
most dermatologist don't refer to radiation oncology doctors because they loose the business of doing the surgery.ask for radiation therapy options in the future if you develop skin cancers again.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me: for using