Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist
Experience:  Senior Consultant MBBS DNB (DVD)
25843817

Please help me figure out what this rash is. My dermatologist

Customer Question

Please help me figure out what this rash is. My dermatologist said rosacea and put me on metro gel but it hasn't helped!
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 7 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.Could you attach a picture of the rash?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Here are 4 images. I'm a pediatrician and am frustrated that I can't figure this out. It started about a year ago and it's a erythematous, papular rash that is at times dry and itchy. It worsens with heat and alcohol but is there all the time.
Thank you for the pictures. The appearance on the pictures looks like rosacea. It is also common for rosacea to be worsened by heat ad alcohol, although there are many other possible triggers. While metronidazole is the usual first-line medicine, there are a good number of people with rosacea that will not respond to metronidazole alone. There are several possible next steps, but the usual next step that I consider is the addition of azelaic acid. It also would be reasonable to consider the use of a retinoid, such as Retin-A, which has some effect on rosacea and also has activity against common acne, which is on of the common conditions that may mimic rosacea. Of course, it is also reasonable to avoid triggers, as much as possible. When there is a rash on the face, there should be some consideration of whether it could be a malar rash, such as is associated with lupus, but this rash does not have that appearance. It is true that rashes for either rosacea or lupus may be atypical, but the identification when it is atypical frequently involves a biopsy. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 7 months ago.
Hello Welcome and Thank you for your query posted. My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern. Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service . Do you want me to provide an input for the latest in the management of rosacea according to global guidelines. There are more treatments available now for rosacea than years ago. I can enumerate the options if you would like me to help with the latest in technology also that can be of help in your condition.Do let me know. Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic
HelloI am still awaiting a response from you . I would be happy to help. RegardsDr Pravin