dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

2 years ago a bump appeared on my ankle

Customer Question

2 years ago a bump appeared on my ankle. It started as a red-ish purplish bump got bigger and dried out. at one point the bump got really big and there was a hole in the middle of in the leaked clear fluid and formed a crust. At that time I didn't think much of it. I put polysporin on it and kept a bandaid on it assuming that my boots had rubbed up agnist my leg and cause irritation. I ended up with a scar on my ankle. In the meantime 3 horrible bumps on my arm. At the beginning of the cycle they looked like redish-purple bumps the skin already starts to look scarred. Eventually the bump grows, hole forms in the middle leaks crust and as it starts to heal it looks dried skin / possibly ringworm. I went to the doctor the first time and was given cortizone. This made it worse. I went back I was treated for ringworm. The condition persisted. I went to a new dermatologist. I had biopsies done. I was prescribed a treatment for folloculitis, I was given treatment for scabies "just to be sure and rule it out" apparently said biopsy had properties of a lot of things including fungal, bacterial, and inflammation. I was given a high dose of anti-fungals. Condition persisted. Finally, I went for blood tests and they said I had inflammation markers...Now I am on Dapsone cream.. not really sure if it's working since I still get the bumps and they still last just about as long. Right now I have a really severe one on my arm which is about the size of a dime with a crater in the middle that leeks fluid and the skin around it is dry and scaly. It's really ugly and embarrassing and leaves really horrible scars. I really would look the feedback on this as I have no Idea how no one is able to diagnose this and properly treat this.
This only happens on my arms, legs and right below my butt cheeks usually i will have a bout of 2 - 5 sores at a time.. some worse then other and some go away after the initial red bump phase... others develop to whats described above. It will go away for a few weeks and then start up again all at the time time.
Another thing to note, I am gluten intolerant I haven't eaten gluten in over 6 years.. maybe this is something to do with that? I also have ulcerative colitis thats been in remission for 4 years.
Really hoping someone can help!!
J
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 months ago.
This is Dr. Davidcan you upload clear jpg images of these bumps?are you using the dapsone cream daily currently?here are instructions to how to upload clear jpg images from a computer.type a word in the textbox and highlight itthen select the "chain" icon above the textbox or the paper clip icon to upload a jpgthis opens a window where you can click next to the text box to select the jpg or pdf file on your computer to upload into JustAnswerhttp://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am not going to get charged until I have an answer right??Okay I am attaching the picture now... right now I just cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide so I could remove all the white crust and yes I am using dapsone every day. This sore is bad so I have been putting a thick layer on and covering it with a bandaid.I also attached a picture of one that's starting on my leg. It's shiny and purple and already looks like a scar...
do you have animals at home? animals can carry fleas which can bite the ankle area.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I don't have animals.This is happening on my arms too.I don't have bed bugs.I have lived in 3 different homes since this has began.They don't itch. Just ugly and painful and leave scars.
could be bad acne.have you had blood testing to check for elevated blood androgen levels? which is seen in polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
At this point I have been treated for nearly everything... Nothing is working.Cortizone - made it worse
Dapsone - Stays the same - kind of helps? not really though
Antifungal pills for one month - NOTHING CHANGED
Antibacterial pills - Nothing changed
Cream for rung worm - nothingIt's definately not acne it looks nothing like that and my face is perfectly clear I have great skin on my face and rest of body it's just my exterior fore arms, the front of my legs mostly.I have had tons of blood tests and only thing that showed was inflamation markers.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ovaries are fine.. Been to gyno and had ultra sounds recently ect...
had you had blood testing to check for autoimmune disorders? ESR? ANA blood test.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't really feel like you read my question cause if you did you would see that I said I have ulcerative colitis which is clearly an autoimmune disorder. Was really hoping someone would pay attention to my symptoms and history and help me investigate this.Forget it. Just give me a refund thanks.I will continue to research myself. I've already been dealing with this over two years.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Like you really think I would be contacting you for a flea bite lol or that my non-exsistant dog has had fleas for over two years and I just haven't noticed??
sure.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Am I being refunded?