Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine

I have a 1 inch diameter red patch circular on my shin of my

Customer Question

I have a 1 inch diameter red patch circular on my shin of my leg. It's been a month no itching no pain nothing just doesn't look pretty. I see that Lyme disease looks like a bullseye. It does not look like a bullseye but oddly nice and circular. Almost perfect. I have not been camping or anything of the such
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 6 months ago.
If the margins are relatively sharp and a bit raised relative to the central area, it might be "ringworm", a superficial fungal infection of the skin that typically does not itch much and can be cleared with the use of a topical antifungal (e.g. miconazole, econazole) twice daily for 3-5 weeks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks. ***** got it at the gym. Please see pictures
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 6 months ago.
Hello. I am Dr. Venkat Attili, Dermatologist and Dermatopathologist with over 10 years of experience in this field. I am here to assist you and will answer your questions to your complete satisfaction. Thanks for the picture, which is typical of a condition called disoid eczema. This isn't fungal or infective (Lyme's). Do not worry. I would suggest using petroleum jelly mixed in equal amounts with 1% cortisone cream 4 times a day. It should clear up within a few weeks. Nothing to worry. Might have just been triggered by dry skin. Hope this helps. Do keep me posted & get back if you have any further questions or feel that I have missed out anything. I will be here to provide ongoing advice as necessary. Best wishes.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 6 months ago.
Discoid eczema is usually very itchy. I would suggest you get a scraping to distinguish it from tinea corporis (ringworm). Treatment of these two conditions is different. The former is often treated with steroid creams or antibiotics, the latter with it would be helpful to get a more definitive diagnosis.