Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology

I am obese and have a white(ish) scaley skin coat on my legs....

Customer Question

I am obese and have a white(ish) scaley skin coat on my legs.... It call it cauliflowered or alligator skin.... Can you tell me what it actually is and how I can reduce or get rid of it?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 6 months ago.
Hello. I am Dr. Venkat Attili, Dermatologist and Dermatopathologist with over 10 years of experience in this field. I am here to assist you and will answer your questions to your complete satisfaction. Can you please upload a picture at your convenience? Here are the site's instructions if you need help doing that:
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
attached is a pic of one leg.... they are both pretty much the same from the ankle to just below the knee and all the way around...
Thank you. How long have you had this for? Is it itchy? Have you tried any creams or tablets for it so far? DO you take any medications regularly for anything else?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have had it several years... it doesn't itch very much.. not used anything on it..... and i take 2 blood pressure medicines.... Amlodopine and Benaziprine(sp?)
Ok. This looks like a condition called ichthyosis which in other words just means dry skin. I would suggest the following to treat this: 1. Eucerin 10% urea cream massaged thoroughly into the skin 3-4 times daily 2. Diprosalic ointment (only available on prescription) applied twice daily. I would suggest trying these for 6-8 weeks. If there is inadequate improvement, you can ask your doctor to prescribe a tablet called Acitretin and take it as 25mg once daily for 3-6 months. This is nothing serious though and therefore if it is not bothering you, you can just stick to topical therapy. Hope this helps. Do keep me posted & get back if you have any further questions or feel that I have missed out anything. I will be here to provide ongoing advice as necessary. Best wishes