Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
17493159

Can low dose prednisone 20 mg 3 days, 15 mg 3 days , then 10

Customer Question

Can low dose prednisone 20 mg 3 days, 15 mg 3 days , then 10 mg 3 days make you susceptable to shingles. I was prescribed them to keep acne at bay by derm and of course am worried
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 10 months ago.
Hello. I am Dr. Venkat Attili, Dermatologist and Dermatopathologist with over 10 years of experience in this field. I am here to assist you and will answer your questions to your complete satisfaction. Ofcourse it can. Moreover prednisolone can actually cause acne and cannot be used for treating it, unless given in conjunction with Accutane or antibiotics. Do get back if you have any further questions or feel that I have missed out anything. I will be here to provide ongoing advice as necessary. Best wishes
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am on doxycyxline but will be betting married this weekend and this was so my cystuc acne does not flare up
It is only a short course and low dose
Would you not recommend - I am aware of many derma doing this and mine td me no sever side effects despite the stress I will have from the wedding . What are your thoughts
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is a total of 3 days each dose for the prednisone tapering every 3 days
20 than 15 than 10 than 5 than stop
Ok, but do you now have shingles?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I do not - I only had chicken pox when little- many years ago.
I am asking if this low dose for such a short time along with stress of the wedding will put me at a much higher risk of developing shingles or if the risk is minimal to develop shingles now given the low dose and brief time for using prednisone
Ok. In that case you need not worry. Such a short course though will suppress the immune system slightly will have a negligible risk of shingles or any other problem. Asking as you have an antibiotic to cover your acne, it isn't a bad idea to give you a short course of prednisolone. I thought he had given you prednisolone on its own. In combination, it is fine. Do not worry.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry I didn't give a the facts right away
I have been on doxy since January doing well but I'm a nervous wreck since the wedding is Saturday so the steroids are like extra insurance. I just did not want to put myself at a severe risk of something else - pjmple I can handle, shingles on my face I wouds be quite upset. I k ow the stress is also a factor that can add to my risk but If you feel I have nothing to truly worry about I appreciate your reassurance.
Nothing to worry at all. Do keep me posted & get back if you have any further questions or feel that I have missed out anything. I will be here to provide ongoing advise as required. Best wishes.