Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology

Dr JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about

Customer Question

Hello Dr
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I developed severe itching on my inner thighs, buttocks, and abdomen. I also noticed I have two small red bumps on my pubic area and two on the shaft of my penis. I also have one on the tip of my penis? Sound like Herpes or jock itch? The only activity I had was oral sex about a month ago...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dermatologists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 6 months ago.
Hello. I am Dr. Venkat Attili, Dermatologist and Dermatopathologist with over 10 years of experience in this field. I am here to assist you and will answer your questions to your complete satisfaction. Can you please upload a picture at your convenience? Here are the site's instructions if you need help doing that:
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've added some. The one on the glans is red because I was messing with it... Just a little concerned. The belly itching, groin itch, thighs, and buttocks. Also penis shaft sometimes itches and tingles... Hope you can give me a hand. Thanks
Thank you. Can you tell me if you have any itchy spots in between your fingers/ toes or anywhere else ? Is any one else in the household affected?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. Nobody else is involved.. No itchy spots on toes or fingers.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I know its not a good idea to research on the web (makes people paranoid), however, I'm hoping to God it's just a jock itch or something benign... I can't imagine I got herpes. I'm hardly, like only once a year sexually active. Recent case was just oral and I also made out with that person and have no oral symptoms.
ok. The first thing that comes to mind, in the presence of itchy spots on the genital area is scabies. However scabies is contracted from another person and usually spreads around. Though the lack of lesions elsewhere or anyone else in the family is unusual in scabies, I would still suggest treating for it, given your sexual encounter a month ago. Pubic lice are another possibility, but treatment is the same as scabies. The best way to treat scabies is with permethrin cream. You can get permethrin 5% lotion over the counter. However everyone in the house needs to apply the cream head down to the toes, twice, a week apart, as per instructions in this website below. In addition, to help with the itch, I would recommend the following: 1. Calamine lotion applied 3-4 times a day2. Cortisone cream applied twice a day3. Benadryl tablets 6hrly as required, to stop the itch. This is nothing serious and should clear up with treatment. Hope this helps. Do keep me posted & get back if you have any further questions or feel that I have missed out anything. I will be here to provide ongoing advice as necessary. Please do not hesitate to ask. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll give you a little more background.. Im a police officer and 5 days in a row wear hot clothing, get very sweaty down their, and just wonder what your thoughts are about the possibility of jock itch? The recent encounter was with a known person who is not affected with scabies.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The only reason I question scabies is because it hasn't spread (been localized to my groin, waistline, and inner thighs.
ok. Jock itch doesn't present as itchy pimple like lesions as I can see here. It is more like a rash. Localised lesions may imply pubic lice rather than scabies. The other other possibility is folliculitis (infection of the hair follicles). But that usually isn't itchy. Anyway, please try this treatment and get back to me.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay thank you so much.... In your opinion, does this look like herpes?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. I will surely keep you posted and let you know how I improve.
Please do that
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The pharmacist said the "permethrin 5%" is only available with a prescription...
That is odd! Here is an easy alternative. Get the 10% lotion normally used for mange in pets. Dilute it by 50% by mixing it with body lotion and then apply it. That should solve your problem!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay, so today I went to an urgent care center who prescribed the medicine. However, he (who I believe was a PA) said it may be herpes... I'm a bit concerned now. He doesn't believe it's scabies because I don't have the rash between my fingers or toes. My symptoms began as follows: severe itching on my inner thighs, abdomen, and buttocks... Then I developed a single red bump on my pubic area, which has led to three red rashes on my penis ... Is your opinion still scabies ? He said referral to a dermatologist is a good idea.
In my opinion scabies or folliculitis are the only possibilities....
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Dr. Even after having received oral sex about a month ago? Also, I was in the Bahamas a few weeks ago and handled a lot of fish. I hear scabies can come from fish. Sorry for so many messages, I just got really nervous after the PA said I may have herpes ! ....
yes, even after oral sex. No scabies cannot come from fish. I do not think this is herpes. Do not worry. Herpes is never itchy!