Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

I have a question regarding hair growth/scalp health. I used

Customer Question

I have a question regarding hair growth/scalp health. I used to have incredibly thick hair but suffered hair loss two years ago and am worried that the hair won't grow back to what it was. I know that hair thins out as a part of the aging process, but is there any way to regenerate hair follicles and encourage growth, or is hair thinning caused by aging permanent?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 months ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.There are several ways. One of them is using Minoxidil sprays which acts as an anti hair fall specially against male patterned baldness as well as temporary hair loss due to stress. Minoxidil prevents further hair loss and encourages growth of some hair as well which are thinner than the original hair and also do not gain much length. This is a reversible process however and the hair that are saved due to minoxidil fall soon after you stop using the spray. So, it has to be used for a long time.Another way that is well known is Finasteride - a drug used for benign prostatic hyperplasia as well as for male patterned baldness. The most renowned way nowadays is the use of PRPs - Platelet rich plasma. It is minimally invasive and in this procedure, blood is drawn from a vein as in a regular blood test and this blood is then centrifuged, platelet rich plasma is extracted, an activator is added to the plasma and this mixture is then injected subcutaneously in the scalp. This not only provides volume to existing hair but also helps in saving hair follicles that have lost hair within the last 4 to 6 months. Usually 6 to 8 sessions are required to complete the treatment but results have been phenomenal so far.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.