Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
17493159

I've just visited a proctologist who informed me that I have

Customer Question

I've just visited a proctologist who informed me that I have an internal wart an inch inside my anus. He treated it with a laser and I will be back in one month for possible further treatment if that wart has spread and started other warts. At this point, I do not know what strain of HPV it is. I don't know if it's a common type of wart or more specifically a genital wart strain. I occasionally get a wart on the same spot on my hand. I suppose I might have passed it on to my anus during a sexual act.
I have a permanent partner, and we are sexually active in and outside of our relationship. We use protection.
My partner and I have some questions for a medical professional who would know about warts.1) can warts be transmitted orally? If a sexual partner were to perform analingus on me, is there a chance they could get orally infected by the virus if the wart is present. What if the wart is not present? are the chances less?2) I'm assuming it can be transmitted through sex and through skin to skin contact. If there are no warts present, what are the chances that they can still be transmitted to another person?3) several people say that a strong immune system can keep warts at bay. Can a strong immune system completely kill the virus in one's body? Or is the virus always present?4) is there a point/reason to try and identify what strain of HPV i have? Will a test be able to identify several strains, if that is possible? Is there a reason to identify the strain?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 7 months ago.
Hello. I am Dr. Venkat Attili, Dermatologist and Dermatopathologist with over 10 years of experience in this field. I am here to assist you and will answer your questions to your complete satisfaction. I didn't quite understand your question/ doubt. Can you please elaborate what exactly you would like to know?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1) can warts be transmitted orally? If a sexual partner were to perform analingus on me, is there a chance they could get orally infected by the virus if the wart is present. What if the wart is not present? are the chances less?2) I'm assuming it can be transmitted through sex and through skin to skin contact. If there are no warts present, what are the chances that they can still be transmitted to another person?3) several people say that a strong immune system can keep warts at bay. Can a strong immune system completely kill the virus in one's body? Or is the virus always present?4) is there a point/reason to try and identify what strain of HPV i have? Will a test be able to identify several strains, if that is possible? Is there a reason to identify the strain?
1) can warts be transmitted orally? YESIf a sexual partner were to perform analingus on me, is there a chance they could get orally infected by the virus if the wart is present.Yes
What if the wart is not present? are the chances less?Yes, in the absence of visible warts, the chances are much less2) I'm assuming it can be transmitted through sex and through skin to skin contact. If there are no warts present, what are the chances that they can still be transmitted to another person?Around 1-5% chance still remains despite the absence of a visible wart. Sub clinical infection/ transmission can happen3) several people say that a strong immune system can keep warts at bay.YesCan a strong immune system completely kill the virus in one's body? Or is the virus always present?The virus is always present but the immune system keeps it at bay4) is there a point/reason to try and identify what strain of HPV i have?
Not really as there wouldn't be anything different you would do with that information.Will a test be able to identify several strains, if that is possible?Yes. There is a HPV PCR test that can determine thatIs there a reason to identify the strain?No.Hope this helps. Do keep me posted & get back if you have any further questions or feel that I have missed out anything. I will be here to provide ongoing advice as necessary. Best wishes