Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology

I started getting bumps last 2 months in my penis

Customer Question

I started getting bumps for the last 2 months in my penis shaft and on the tip too. They are red and itchy then over time when they fade away the skin turned into a black as scar. Today I got another one on the tip but it's not itchy at all. What that could be ?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 6 months ago.
Hello. I am Dr. Venkat Attili, Dermatologist and Dermatopathologist with over 10 years of experience in this field. I am here to assist you and will answer your questions to your complete satisfaction. Thanks for the pictures. The bump on the penis doesn't look related to your previous bumps. Aren't your bumps usually itchy and this one isn't? Do you have any skin lesions anywhere else on your body?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes I had on my arms then in between my fingers so in my feet . What could it be ? Could it be an STD, or allergic reaction to a soap or condom ? Note: that last year I had the same symptom and I preform a full std test twice 3 month after and 6 month after and also my doctor took a piece of my penis and came back negative there is jobs scabies not its Herpes. So I'm just freaked out what could it be ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
And no the one on my tip doesn't itch
Ok. Your history and pictures are very strongly suggestive of scabies. The best way to treat scabies is with permethrin cream. You can get permethrin 5% lotion over the counter. However everyone in the house needs to apply the cream head down to the toes, twice, a week apart, as per instructions in this website below. In addition, to help with the itch, I would recommend the following: 1. Calamine lotion applied 3-4 times a day2. Cortisone cream applied twice a day3. Benadryl tablets 6hrly as required, to stop the itch. This is nothing serious and should clear up with treatment. Hope this helps. Do keep me posted & get back if you have any further questions or feel that I have missed out anything. I will be here to provide ongoing advice as necessary. Please do not hesitate to ask. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. This is very helpful. The thing is that I used this cream last year and it worked but the result from the lab came back clear that I didn't have scabies. So are these bumps that I'm getting in my penis are most likely scabies ? Do they look like herpes or syphills ? Cuz I'm worried they maybe stds ? No ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This another picture
Scabies cannot be conclusively diagnosed with a lab test as there will be a sampling error. It is more a clinical diagnosis. It looks very much like scabies.
doesn't look like STD/HErpes or syphilis. Do not worry
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Doctor. One more question. Is there a way to clear up all these white scars on my penis ?
They should gradually clear up in time with using a moisturiser like petroleum jelly, 2-3 times a day
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Doctor, you were right. My doctor diagnosed me with scabies and proscribed me permethrin. The question is can I get re infested After treatment if I touch my phone ? also I let my entire apartment and I'm staying at a motel for now for 3 days is this enough time to stay from the infested objects in my house such as carpet, bedding, etc ?
No. Scabies only infests clothing/ soft furnishings. It cannot live on hard material. I would suggest you hoover your carpet and bed thoroughly now itself. The mite can live for weeks on soft furnishings!